Diisobutylene is a highly branched C8 olefin obtained by the dimerization of a pre-treated isobutylene feedstock. INEOS Oligomers’ Diisobutylene HP product contains over 95% of 2,4,4-trimethylpentenes (TMP), split approximately 75/20 between the TMP1 and TMP2 isomers. Diisobutylene 99 product contains over 99% of 2,4,4-trimethylpentenes (TMP). Diisobutylene is an intermediate for a wide range of chemical products used in rubbers, polymers and lubricants, when high compatibility and chemical stability are required.
- Octylphenol resins used as tackifiers in radial tires
- Octylated diphenylamine stabilizers for lubricants and rubbers
- Isononyl derivatives used to produce polymerization initiators and compressor fluids
- Sulphur additives for anti-wear lubricants and HALS stabilizers for outdoor polyolefin applications
- Diisobutylene is also used as a co-monomer in the production of elastomers and hydrocarbon resins, or as chain stop agent for polycarbonate resins.